Sunday, March 16, 2014

Memo #1: How Did I Arrive at my Burning Topic/Question?


(Original Image Source: Click here)

My I-Search question and topic is:  Are English as a Second Language High school students prepared enough for College Writing classes?  I came to this question because I have a couple of friends who I lived with on campus here at Rhode Island College who were English as a Second Language high school students.  My best friend who I will call Erica (changed her name for privacy purposes) attended many programs to help with her English as well as becoming more prepared for College.  She attended programs like Upward Bound, The Preparatory Enrollment Program and tutoring help after classes.  Erica ended up failing out of Rhode Island College because of her low grades.  Seeing her fail out of Rhode Island College is what really motivated me to find out what the issue at hand is.  She worked twice as hard as any student I know and I even had to hold her while she cried from frustration because she could not figure out why she was not succeeding.  After much tears and sadness she ended up having to leave Rhode Island College.  The school was not giving her enough money to stay and basically kicked her out.  This question is vital to me because I met her family and I know that they value a college education.  They not only supported her but they made it a requirement for her to strive for a diploma.  This is also where I have always been concerned, if she had the encouragement, determination and the support to get a college diploma where was she failing?  Why aren’t the “ends” meeting?

1 comment:

  1. Great topic. Your example provided quite a bit of insight into what you're trying to understand. I wonder if there are enough support systems in place to help ESL students, specifically at the college level. How can you have a student who, possessing the determination to succeed, is simply allowed to fail? Where is the help? I understand there are programs such as the few you mentioned, but how helpful are they? Is the high school at fault? It's definitely a complex topic, and I look forward to seeing where you go with it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete